You may make a request for a specific record using our online form, by email, or by mail.
When you email or mail in a request for a record, please include as much of the following information as possible:
- Your name
- Your return address and/or the address where you’d like the record mailed
- Your phone number
- Your email (if applicable - if you do not have an email, we will communicate via mail)
- The type of record you are requesting
- The county or government office the record is from
- The case number, certificate number or any other identifying number for the record
- The name of any person or organization relevant to the search
- Your best guess at the date of the record
- If you are requesting divorce records, also include the specific documents needed from the requested materials
- Tell us if you need the record to be certified
If insufficient information is provided, archives staff will contact you for the necessary information. If we do not hear from you within 30 days of our communication, we will automatically close the request.
Please do not include any form of payment when submitting a request by mail. You will be contacted after the request is received by our office concerning applicable fees. Sending incorrect payment with your request will delay processing your request.
In most cases, archivists will not be able fulfill requests that ask for "everything you have on [insert topic]." If you are unsure of what records you want, call our reference desk before emailing or mailing in a request.
Send email requests to:
Send mail requests to:
Colorado State Archives
1313 Sherman St, Room 120
Denver, CO 80203-2274