What if I'm not sure what I'm looking for?
If you aren't sure what exact record you need, you can:
- Check our Archives Search database
- Review our website for information about types of records available
- Speak with a staff archivist on the phone.
Do not use this form to ask broad questions, such as how to research for your thesis, dissertation, or how to plan other large scale research projects.
- Broad or open-ended questions are best answered by phone. Call between 10 am and 4 pm (Mountain Time)
I'm ready to make a formal request
The online form (button at the bottom of this page) is designed for requesting specific records. The online form can be accessed at any time, and is the quickest way to request a record. You may start the form online and ask questions by phone while you are filling it out, however record requests will not be taken over the phone. If you cannot fill out this online form, you may submit your request by email or by mail.
What will I need before I fill out this form?
- Provide as much detail as possible about the record you seek, such as a case number for legal files, or full name and time period for genealogical records.
- The form will ask whether you are looking to schedule an appointment for an in-person visit, or if you would like the records sent to you. We no longer allow walk-ins without an appointment.
- There are no fees to make a request, view records in person, or if we do not have the record you request. There are fees associated with making physical or digital copies of records. Please review our fees for more information.
NOTICE - Colorado State Archives will be switching to a new request system starting Monday, May 15, 2023. If you have bookmarked the old request form, please make sure you delete that bookmark as it will no longer work after May 15th at 10:00 AM Mountain Time.
Please note: after clicking the button on the bottom of the page, you will be brought to a new screen. Click on "submit a request" in the upper right corner to access the request form. See screenshot below.