Births in Colorado were not officially registered with the State until approximately 1908. Before that time there is no guarantee that a record of a birth exists. A few counties recorded births during that time. And in 1908 the State began recording "delayed births," which retroactively document some births before 1908.
About Birth Records
Types of birth records held by the Colorado State Archives:
- Birth Certificate - This document holds information pertaining to a single birth. They are official government records created at the time of the birth. Usually contains: name, place of birth, name of parents. And may contain other information. (Available through the Vital Records office subject to their policies)
- Birth Record, Ledgers, Dockets, or Books - These records collect information pertaining to many births. Each birth is a single entry among many entries usually in a bound volume. They are official government records created at the time of the birth. They usually contain information similar to a birth certificate.
- Delayed Birth Records/Certificates - Similar to their non-delayed counterparts, the only difference is their delayed creation. They are official government documents created months or years the birth. (Available through the Vital Records office subject to their policies)
How to Find Information
In general, Birth Certificates issued after 1908 are not held by the Archives. Please contact Certificates and Vital Records of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment for these records.
Birth records from the following counties are available for research at the Colorado State Archives. These records may be accessed in-person or by request (online, phone, mail). Please note that birth records, per our access policy, are only accessible if the record is at least 100 years old.
- 1902-1907 Birth & Death Record
- 1905-1909 Report of Births
- 1891-1898 Birth Record (for births outside incorporated towns)
- 1892-1906 Birth Certificates (indexed in Archives Search)
- 1880-1884 Record of Births
- 1870-1909 Birth Certificates
- 1872-1936 Birth Certificate Docket Book
- 1875-1909 Birth [Record]
- 1880-1898 Birth Certificates
- 1890-1907 Index to Birth & Death Records
- 1896-1929 Record of Births
To Request a Record
To search our records, please see Archives Search.
To request a record from the Archives, please submit a formal request.
- See also our associated fees